No crowds at South Africa / India test series
South Africa’s next test and India’s one-day international home series will be played behind closed doors amid a wave of COVID-19 infections.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced on Monday that the three-game test series, which begins Sunday at Centurion, will not admit spectators.
Teams are then expected to play three ODIs starting January 19.
The South African board of directors said in a statement that the decision to play behind closed doors was taken jointly with the Indian Cricket Council (BCCI).
“This decision was taken in order to avoid any violation that could compromise the tour from a COVID risk perspective and also to maintain a safe bubble environment,” the statement said.
The statement added that the decision was made in the best interests of the game and the health and safety of players and staff.
Earlier on Monday, it was also announced that the South African Twenty20 Mzansi Super League has been called off for the second time due to COVID-19 concerns.
The 2022 Mzansi Super League was due to be held in February, but the board said increased travel restrictions in South Africa following the emergence of the Omicron variant made it difficult to organize the tournament.
The 2020 edition has also been canceled due to logistics issues related to the pandemic.
The board said the Mzansi Super League will be replaced with a domestic T20 Challenge tournament featuring eight top division teams.
South Africa reported a record number of daily COVID-19 infections last week in a fourth wave.