North Korea denounces end of US guidelines limiting the range of South Korean missiles
North Korean state media on Monday criticized the recent termination of a pact between the United States and South Korea that capped South Korea’s ballistic missile development, calling it a sign of Washington’s “shameful double treatment”.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in announced the abolition of the Joint Missile Guidelines that had limited ballistic missile development in the country to a range of 800 km (500 miles) after his first summit with US President Joe Biden earlier this month. Read more
North Korean state-run news agency KCNA published an article by Kim Myong Chol, whom she described as a “critic of international affairs”, accusing the United States of applying a double standard as it sought to ban Pyongyang from developing ballistic missiles.
The United States is “absorbed in confrontation despite its lip service to the dialogue,” Kim said. “The termination stage is a stark reminder of the hostile US policy towards the DPRK and its shameful double game.”
The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) is the official name for North Korea.
North Korea’s target is the United States, not the South Korean military, and it will counter states on “force-against-force principle,” Kim said.
Kim also criticized Moon for praising the termination of the guidelines, calling it “disgusting, indecent.”
“Now that the American and South Korean authorities have clearly expressed their ambition for aggression, there is no longer any reason for them to blame the DPRK for strengthening its self-defense capabilities,” Kim added.
Our standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.